
I have been wondering lately how important the details of our lives are to God. I know that they are important in that He cares about what we care about. My questions surround how much he cares what job we have or where we decide to move or what type of house we buy, etc, etc.
When I think of the future of my children I know that I will love them no matter what. Beyond that, I hope they make good decisions in their lives or, at the very least, learn from the not-so-good ones. Sometimes I think that my life was actually shaped more by my bad decisions that my good ones. So does it really matter if I my kids make the best choices all the time? Is it the same way with God? I am sure He hurts for us if we chose poorly just I like would with my son. I am sure He rejoices with us when things go well. But as far as really having a desire for us to make one decision over another (unless sin is involved) I am not sure what He thinks.
Theoretical example: As I am nearing the end of high school I sit down with my parents and try to decide which college God "wants" me to go to and what He "wants" me to do with my life.
Scenario A: I go to a well known university into a a program that will eventually set me up to make lots of money.
Scenario B: I decide not to go to school at all but to move into a bad neighborhood with the hope of bringing the Gospel to everyone in that neighborhood.
When you look at these scenarios from a bird's eye view it would be easier to say that B is the choice God wants you to make. After all, you are giving up financial security, prestige, fancy clothes, nice house, etc. to do something that serves God. But what if I do A, get my degree, get a great internship at a really successful business and 5 years down the road I start my own venture. I make a ton of money, so much I don't even know where I would spend it all. The catch is, all along I knew that once I had some money I would start using it to benefit God's poorest and most down-and-out people in my city. I start using that money to plant churches and ministries all over my city in the worst neighborhoods. I am able to support hundreds or thousands of people who have the dream of moving into a neighborhood and bringing the Gospel to the people of that area.
Which scenario does God want? The answer is yes. He wants them both. The question is not either/or it is how? How am I going to use the path I choose to impact the world for God's sake? How is my life going to physically represent Jesus on earth? For this reason I don't think God has as much stake in what decisions we make with our lives as we convince ourselves He does. His stake is in how we use our position and influence to worship Him with every dollar, moment and breath.
God help me to recognize how I can worship You with the choices I have already made and those I will make in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment